Tuesday, June 9, 2020

I'm Your Huckleberry!

I'll never forget this remarkable and completely unplanned day of adventure, mostly for the absolutely gorgeous weather!  I drove to a famous cemetery in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, to pay homage to a personal hero of mine.  When I pulled up to the side of the road, I was a wee bit shocked that there was a trail head marker to the cemetery.  It was then I realized not only was I going to be a paying homage to this hero, but I would also be embarking on a a pilgrim's journey.

FACT: Linwood Cemetery is a half mile up-hill moderately strenuous trek on a gritty dirt hiking path to one of the most beautiful final resting places on the side of a mountain.  If you're anything like me, you immediately scratched your noggin and tried to imagine how all the marble statues, headstones, and even the caskets were transported up that mountain, especially in the late 1800's.


At the summit, Linwood is sectioned off into two areas.  There was an area to the left where you could immediately scan headstones.  This area was delineated for the more prestigious and wealthy dead.  And, to the right, there was a sign for "Potter's Field".  This section was delineated for the "friendless" (which sounds super sad, no?) and the destitute.  To get to "Potter's Field" you had to follow a short trail beyond some trees, bushes, and sagebrush.  However, to me, the view was just as spectacular with much smaller, less grandiose burial plots.  I'll discuss this section of the cemetery later.

Paying Homage:

I first explored the grave that I drove all the way to see: John Henry "Doc" Holliday, born in Griffin, GEORGIA (shout out to my childhood GA roots)!  Dying of Tuberculosis (at 35 years of age), a chronic illness and major handicap, he was still the fastest gunslinger in West.  What's so absolutely alluring about this man, and in an attempt to explain why he, perhaps, was the ultimate lady's man, is his unquestioned and unexpected duality.  While he's remembered as a rough and tough poker player and gunslinger, he also knew Latin, quoted the classics of literature (Coleridge), and even broke out some Chopin on the saloon piano.  At the base of his memorial, visitors left poker playing cards, cigarettes, and even a can of Grizzly chewin' tobacco to pay respects.



Days like these are so fun, because it's really so very cool to step back in history and see these graves of people who made America what it is today.  Whether good or bad, this person forever left an imprint in the history books, or the anals, or wait, rather, the annals of time.  It's like a scavenger hunt many times at these cemeteries.  However, Linwood Cemetery did a fantastic job and clearly posted at least 4 signs pointing to this famous memorial.  Visitors to the pinnacle will find that the signs do not ever point to the actual grave site (which is why I had no problem jumping the fence and copping a quit squat and photo opp by the memorial).  Alas, Doc Holliday is buried atop this mountain in an unmarked grave.  Smart move, since there's no security atop the mountain.  Meanwhile, while in silence periodic gusts of wind create a mild dust storm leaving dirt and grit in your teeth, making the experience even that more legendary. (Definitely bring some H20)


Potter's Field, Linwood Cemetery:

Potter's Field was the section of the cemetery marked for the "unbrefriended."  It is believed that Potter's Field took its name from the Gospel of Matthew and the silver Judas used to betray Jesus.  The priests were scared to accept Judas's silver so they spent the money on land, previously owned by the potter, for the burial plots for foreigners.  In fact, may communities have a Potter's field believing that no matter the person's socioeconomic standing, everyone is entitled to a proper burial.

In Linwood Cemetery's Potter's Field, I quickly found the burial spot of Kid Curry.  His real name was Harvey Logan, an outlaw. As in, the REAL *OG outlaw.  (*OG=Original Gangster) I thought, "What not a better place for the emergence of finger guns." So, excuse the snapshots below. KC broke out of prison in Knoxville, Tennessee, and headed west to rob some trains out West.  Unfortunately, he met his demise in the West in a shootout.  But, poor guy has been exhumed TWICE by historians and scientist to make sure they have the right guy.  Apparently there is still some debate to this date about the real identity of the corpse buried here.  However, this made me a chuckle a wee bit...a physician for the Glenwood Hot Springs Company performed an examination on him and indicated: "His whole appearance marks him as a moral coward...every line in his face indicates a degenerate."  Ouch!  



To and Fro:

On the trail up and down the mountain, visitors can see the "wishing tree" or "Annie's Wishing Tree."  The tree is a memorial to those with cancer, based off the traditions of the Ute Indians and how they would have memorialized their kin.  A lady named Annie started it when she was battling cancer.  Every day she would walk the steep hill to the tree.  She would write down a wish or a prayer or someone's name on a ribbon and tie it to the tree.   And, that's how this tree has been decorated. 




Edibles:

After the cemetery hike, I recommend Vicco's Drive-in.  Only a few minutes down the road, I personally endorse the #5, or maybe it's the #6.  It's called the "Char Melt."  It's a chargrilled beef patty with grilled diced onions on a toasted bun and some sorta special bbq tangy house sauce.  And it's everything I thought it could be.  The onion rings are crunchy, with the right amount of grease and absolutely delicious as well.  Vicco's is located right off a two lane road, but all the memorabilia, cabin in the back, and old skool drive-in feels
 makes it a charming place to grab a bite, if you're into greasy diners and drive-thrus after a hot day in the sun.

Can we talk Tombstone for a sec?:

Doc Holliday was brilliantly portrayed by Val Kilmer in the movie Tombstone, but few people know the part was originally promised to Willem DeFoe.  And, I didn't learn until last year that Kurt Russel was, indeed, the real director of Tombstone.  In 2017, on the topic, Val Kilmer was quoted as saying: "I'll be clear, Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone's success, no question."

Doc Holliday is most well known for the quote: "I'm your huckleberry."  There's been some speculation whether Doc was truly ever quoted as saying this.  And, further, there's been some debate on what was said and what the phrase means.  Some believe Doc was quoted as saying, "I'm your huckleberry" which has been translated to: "If you wanna fight, I'm your man" or "If you wanna dance, I'll dance with you."  However, there are those who will argue the phrase is "I'll be your huckle bearer," which means I'll be your pallbearer, making the phrase very macabre.


Last year, I went through a rough time in life, a crucible, if you will.  It was a challenging time that tested me and made me a better person in the end.  I often have a hard time reaching out for help.  However, I woke up one morning compelled to reach out to someone who I respected and knew would have some good life advice.  And, this person, in his vast wisdom and vulnerable authentic giving, recommended during our lunch that I re-watch Tombstone. 

The first time I had seen Tombstone was in high school.  I'll admit, it was lost on me then.  But, watching it in my 40's?  For anyone who knows me well and as you may have already surmised via the fact I have martyred Doc Holliday in a blog post, Tombstone is up there in my 10 favorite all time movies, and here's why I'm thanking that kind advisor for pointing me to the cinematic masterpiece for life answers:
  1. The cast: Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Billy Bob Thorton, Jason Priestly, Billy Zane (to name a few)...
  2. I have never found a more complete connection to any female character in any book or film like I have with Josephine.  Not everyone understands here or her "ideal of heaven," but that's okay.  Many people walk different paths and have different life callings that may not make sense to everyone else.  Love them just the same...
  3. Holy Smokes: The BRAVADO, the MOXIE!  Nobody takes crap from from anyone.  So refreshing in this day in age.                                                                                        DISCLAIMER: I'm not suggesting gun violence here.  Rather, love yourself enough to not take bull from any outlaw cowboys, whoever/whatever that "cowboy" may be in your life...
  4. May we please have a resurgence of vests, suspenders and handlebar mustaches on the reg?  Thank you, Mr. Earp for bringing sexy back...
  5. The quotable lines in this movie overflows expectation.  If I was held to gun point and forced to narrow it down to just one quote, it would be a scene towards the end of the movie.  Wyatt Earp is talking to Doc Holliday who is on his deathbed suffering from the final stages of Tuberculosis.  Wyatt is playfully forcing Doc to a one final game of Poker.  Doc asks, "What did you ever want Wyatt?"  And, Wyatt retorts, " Doc, all I ever wanted was a normal life."  Then Doc drops one of the most poignant lines in the whole movie: "There is no such thing as a normal life, there's just life...now get on with it."  I think we hear the old saying, "Oh it's just a bump in the road."  The truth is it's just the road, no bump, meaning the road is full of dips and bumps and windy curves and even detours.  And, it's all how we handle the road.
Annnd, back to Glenwood Springs!

If you're ever passing by Glenwood Springs, it's definitely worth the time to visit Linwood Cemetery.  Also, here are a few shots of the historic downtown area and Hotel Colorado, some tubing, and quaint lodging!







Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful rest of your week! - Colorado Kimmie

2 comments:

  1. I love the movie “Tombstone”! Classic! I’ve visited Tombstone, Arizona like 3 times...been to the Birdcage and OK Corral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my all-time favorites too! That's so cool! Wow, bucket list for me!

    ReplyDelete

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...