Thursday, June 18, 2020

Bitter Grapes and Banana Bread

I bet you thought this was about food.  The biggest Google searched recipe during the quarantine was “banana bread.”  But, this ain't a recipe.  I mean, banana bread?!  How boring!  Are we that demotivated and uninspired in this country?


Anyways, I digress....  

A few years ago, I decided to go back to school in my late 30's.  I had found myself, if we are to use Hollywood slang, type cast in a series of sales roles.  Also, little did I know it at the time, but the tuition I paid in South Carolina for a three-semester post Bachelors Associate degree would have paid for in state law school tuition in the State of Florida.  Yes, that Magical Mouse apparently does a lot for the state of Florida in terms of education.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

My first semester was the hardest, because I had taken on so much that I rarely found time to unwind and relax.  I took 15 credit hours (considered a full academic load), worked 40 hours, and dated a far-left winged liberal pacifist who demanded much of, well no, he demanded my full attention.  In the beginning, it was he who pushed me to get out of the sales arena and do something I was more passionate about.  And, at the time, I had an affinity for law.  He found an ABA accredited program at a local college and drove me to the orientation.  Later, the thing he pushed me to do made him bitter and resentful.  When I started spending less and less time with him, he told me: “It’s you who made all these high reaching goals for yourself.”  Wow, shame on me as a woman for making high reaching goals for myself and not being up a man’s buttocks all the time!!  The moral here: Sometimes the space shuttle has to shed its rocket booster and keep on going.  And, well, he's history, after that first semester.

During my first semester I had to take "Nursing Anatomy."  Honestly, I believe this course to be the "weed out" class.  It would have made perfect sense for legal students to take a "medical terminology" class.  But, no as an American Bar Association accredited degree, we had to take full-fledged nursing anatomy, because a board of professionals and an accrediting agency thought it was somehow necessary.  If there are any legal professional working in, say, "Personal Injury," just a loose knowledge of medical terms and the ability to Google would suffice.  Alas, I learned the Latin/Greek names for all muscles, organs, parts of organs and bones in the body, along with microbiology and all other unnecessary information for a legal degree. 


Going back to school as an adult was already a culture shock.  Have you ever heard of "shirking."  It's where the class can quickly ascertain who the smartest person in class is and then become a parasite.  Anytime a project was assigned and we went to the library, the entire class would congregate around me to see what I was doing…before they even read the instructions!  Quite honestly, I would be sitting in the library and watch someone get up to get a legal book and another student come over with a smart phone and take a picture of his/her work product.  In legal bibliography class, two students were expelled from the program.  One girl was let back in once the powers that be determined she innocently sent another girl her homework to help her understand.  Innocently not knowing, the other girl just printed off her work and put her name on it.  So, I became a loner and kept to myself and to my goal of finishing first in my class.

Our nursing anatomy class was in one of the oldest buildings on campus.  You've probably been in one of these classrooms before where the acoustics are already terrible.  If a book drops it echoes around the brick walls and asbestos ceiling tiles.  As luck would have it, I sat on the front row right in front of this female student who was probably fresh out of high school.  Every class, she would come in 10-15 late and cause a loud commotion, throwing her books down and pulling everything out of her bag with crumpling papers.  She would bring food and drink to class, even though the signs prohibited food and drink.  And, she would sit and talk to the older lady at a normal speaking voice. 

One day I remember looking at the Professor lecturing and all I could hear between my two earlobes was the crunching of ice cubes.  And, absolutely no one out of about 15 students would say a word to this girl, because she was a minority.   Apparently, with this generation, their parents have told them how special they are so they think everyone in class is just sitting waiting for their entry and to overhear their special distracting conversations.  We just kept looking around at each other wondering who was finally going to be the sacrificial bunter to say something or getting other runner in scoring positions.  (Sorry, a little softball lingo)

I had a goal to make an A in the anatomy class, so I became highly annoyed that I could not hear the lecture.  It was like the Adjunct professor, also a minority, would be talking but nothing would be coming out of her mouth.  And, the time in which I was sitting in the lecture became completely pointless.  It was the “minority girl” show!  Also annoying, you may ask?  The exams were based off lecture notes (not just the text).  After the first couple of weeks, I had all I could handle with this girl’s complete rude and disrespectful behavior to the entire class. 

After class on day, I walked up to the professor who was a Buddhist pacifist (and we had talked about pharma before and how more people should meditate) and I asked her if she was distracted by the rude student.  She shrugged her shoulders and gave this look like: “yes, but what can I do?”  I asked the professor is she could kindly speak with the student and explain to her how disruptive she was to the rest of the class.  The professor told me she felt uncomfortable speaking with the girl as she felt it was confrontational to do so.  Being somewhat understanding, I asked if I could have the name and contact of her manager or supervisor.  Perhaps someone on up the ladder could have a brief conversation with her about being quiet during the lecture.  I emailed this person and didn't not receive any response.  So, then I researched the name and contact of the Dean of the Biology program.  I did not hear back from this person either.

Shortly after, I went to the counseling center at the university and told them about my experience in a classroom there.  I was paying full price tuition, wanted a 4.0 and was unable to hear the lecture in my nursing anatomy class.  The counselor was almost livid this was happening and couldn't believe the professor was taking no responsibility in resolving the issue for me.  The Counselor told me that I should turn around in class and ask the student, point blank, to please be quiet.  When I did, the situation got a whole lot worse.  It became the student’s mission to drum stick her pencil and make any distractions possible.  Rude people typically don’t like to be called out on rude behavior.  So, duly noted.

Then a few days later, I was contacted by the Dean of my college who was also my Academic Advisor.  When I walked into her office for our scheduled appointment, she asked me to close the door.  Then she proceeded to unleash wrath and attempt to extract several pounds of flesh from me for attempting to resolve a clear issue with the “higher ups” of another section/college.  She said that I had created quite a stir at the University by “demanding” a response from someone in the college of Biology.  I retorted: "Oh is that right?  I'm the student here.  I'm the customer.  I'm paying to attend this college and for a degree and thus I believe I'm entitled fully to what I pay for which includes being able to learn and to hear the lecture." (...silly assertive me).  And, what happened next, I shall never forget.  So much so, you have no idea how much I enjoy recounting this story.

As I sat there looking at my Academic Advisor, who I had been a civil lawyer and who, up until that moment had garnered my respect, I couldn’t believe what she said next.  According to her, since I had created “such a mess,” the only remedy was for her to bake some banana bread.  I would love to have seen the expression on my face as I sat on the edge of my seat awaiting her next idea.  She went on with her strategy:  During the next class, she would be sitting in the back of the room watching as I would, then, turn around offer this girl some banana bread as a peace offering.  And, I was to say how sorry I was.  I sat there completely quiet and speechless (which is very odd for me).  I felt like I had no choice but to play along with this banana bread charade.  


So, the next class came.  The girl came in ridiculously late as usual.  We stopped the class, since the professor was in on the charade.  I then turned around in front of all my peers, and as their mouths dropped to the floor in utter confusion, I offered this bully and menace to our classroom a piece of banana bread and basically apologized to her for getting upset that she was disruptive to the class.  I mean, I should have said, "I'm so sorry I disrupted your Freedom of Speech."  Alas, I said something to the effect of, "I'm sorry for the way I may have affected you.  Would you please like a piece of banana bread."  The girl looked at me confused and almost disgusted and refused the bread. 

Can I just say this?  The person I am today: I would have told my Advisor to go pound salt on a loaf of banana bread.  By the way, for those who may care, I did finish with a perfect 4.0, having fought the hardest in "nursing anatomy" to be able to learn.  And, besides the $200 in cash I received post graduation, not one mention was made of my accolade and accomplishment by any of the staff or the faculty.  Additionally, as lead attorney in our mock trial, I landed the highest settlement in college history.  Not one word, except for the top dog Dean of the entire College who looked at me with a thumbs up and said emphatically: "IMPRESSIVE!"  In fact, at the graduation ceremony, students with a lower GPA, but who were considered minority, were celebrated for their achievements.  


Just one last thing I would like to make mention of with my experience with this “Advisor”.  Prior to this above referenced happenstance, I was emailing her about a traffic ticket I had gotten on campus.  My Advisor taught a night class, “Ethics.”  The class was from 5:30-8:30 p.m.  I came out after class one night that first Fall semester, in the dark and walked to my car and started it up.  As I was driving off, I noticed a citation on my windshield.  I opened it up and found a $50 “first offense” violation.  I drove back to my parking space and looked around for any signs, whatsoever. 

The next day I went to the citation office and inquired about my offense.  I was told I had illegally parking in faculty parking.  Looking confused, I asked how I was supposed to know the space was reserved for faculty.  I was then told that the parking paint was green, and the green paint indicated faculty parking.  Looking even more confused I asked how I was to know that as a new student.  I was then told the information on parking paint was found on page 154 of the student handbook. 

I took the time to look up South Carolina state statutes on parking fines.  What I found was that you cannot fine someone for illegal parking unless there are clearly posted signs.  Now the citation office already told me that there were no appeals.  Let me repeat that, they would not allow student to appeal tickets, which is just a very basic step of democracy.  However, when I presented them with the state statute and explained I would be going to the paper with my article about how the local college had a little parking ticket racket for new student, well, my ticket was destroyed immediately and taken out of the system.  That's what I call a "forced appeal." 

After emailing my Advisor about the whole traffic ticket ordeal, she immediately emailed me back asking for a meeting.  I mean, silly me, I thought, as a legal student she would have been proud of my research and for standing up for the law.  Alas, she looked at me in disgust, and told me that it would have just been easier to pay the damn ticket and go on with my life.  And, then she insinuated that I may need some medication.  Geez, silly me as a woman for sticking up for my legal rights.



For any reader of this blog post who has taken the SAT or ACT, the questions often ask: "What was the author's purpose/intent in writing this?  Well, I shall leave that up for interpretation.  But, please know any time someone offers me banana bread, I have a hearty laugh knowing how miserable this woman had to be.  And, it inspires a rock-a-billy tune called: "This Damn Banana Bread."  Also, I'll leave you with this.  It's an old management adage:  If you think the customer (or student in this case) is a distraction, then you have the wrong job.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...