Sunday, January 28, 2024

Holistic Medicine: A Modern Variation to Acupuncture…

 With the colder temps of January, I’ve been in the gym a bit this year working on strength training and some personal fitness goals.  Suddenly I found myself extremely tight in my shoulders and upper back - mainly from incorporating a weighted bar with arm, back, and shoulder work.  

Deep tissue massages were not even touching the level of tightness, tension, and muscle pain I was experiencing.  I mean, it was to the point that it was hard for me to relax and sleep soundly!  As the saying goes, “No pain, no gain,” right?




A holistic friend from California was hot tubbing with me when I shared about my DOMS…delayed onset muscle soreness.  She knew that I wasn’t in to muscle relaxers or pharmaceutical remedies of any kind no matter what the immediate relief.  She recommended I try cupping which is a lymphatic way to increase blood flow and therefore reduce inflammation and sore muscles.  Cupping is definitely on my bucket list for 2024.  

When I inquired about cupping to a chiropractor for my specific concerns, she began massaging my traps and levator scapula, and told me mine were the tightest she’s felt in a long time and asked me if I was tensing up.  I explained I was as relaxed as possible.  A modern variation of acupuncture called “electroacupuncture” was recommended instead of cupping.  

Electroacupuncture: a modern take on acupuncture that uses electricity to enhance the benefits of this traditional therapeutic treatment for tight and aching muscles. 

As you can see from the pictures, Electroacupuncture uses needles placed in the same spots as traditional acupuncture. A small electrode is then attached to the needles. Then electricity runs through the electrode and gives a slight vibration or soft hum during treatment. ‌ You can feel your muscles twitching.  As for the needles, I did not feel any pain.  However, when she placed them in super tight areas, there was a warm numbness, and I could feel my muscles twitch and resist in the more extremely tight areas.  There are also different levels of electricity to build up to.  I started my first treatment in low frequency.  The treatments are also shorter than traditional acupuncture because the electrodes can activate your acupuncture points quicker. 

How does it work?  Electroacupuncture helps to block your pain by activating bioactive chemicals in your body. This process decreases your sensitivity to the pain you’re feeling. When you get electroacupuncture, it activates your sympathetic nerve fibers. By activating these fibers, your body releases endogenous opioids such as endorphins, which help to reduce inflammation. The activated nerve fibers may also help to reduce feelings of persistent pain. This makes it a good treatment for chronic pain and stress.

Immediately after treatment I felt relief.  However the real benefits start to occur the next morning.  I’m writing this the morning after and I feel absolutely amazing and relaxed! I had a recuperative night’s rest and the muscles are pliable and prepared to continue strength training.  Electroacupuncture is C-K recommended and approved for anyone strength training in the gym or anyone experiencing chronic pain! 

I was supposed to be dropping a hard hitting journalism piece; however, right as I was finishing up and doing final edits, someone sent me information that challenged several opinions!  Therefore, I’m looking at things from a different angle and still plan to drop that post soon…



Yours truly,
Colorado Kimmie 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...