Tuesday, September 10, 2024

The Crossing

Hey Pals!

I’ve done it again.  I’m bringing you news ain’t nobody else touching due to heavy nature of the topic.

But I’m not scared…

This is the site of The Crossing.  It was a wee bit hard to find as it’s out in the middle of nowhere and only one John Deere tractor 🚜 passed me as I was parked on the side of the road near the tracks.  Lone sunflowers can be found lining this country dirt road.  You’re surrounded by cornfields and pastures and the smell of cow manure.











 In 1961, Colorado experienced its worst traffic accident ever at this exact spot.  It was a frigid morning with a cold drizzle of rain.  The accident occurred when a high-speed Union Pacific passenger train from Chicago collided with a school bus right outside of Greeley, Colorado in Weld County.  By the way, I’m partial to Weld County because it was one of the few areas of Colorado that didn’t act like complete idiots during Covid.  They didn’t force masks on people. 

The collision immediately split the school bus in two pieces, killing the 20 children seated in the area where the train slashed through this rural crossing.  Over 16 children survived but were badly injured.

The school bus driver, Duane Harms was never the same.  He stood trial for involuntary manslaughter, even though the Union Pacific train was speeding at over 80 miles per hour.  There were no crossings to notify the driver the train was barreling down the tracks.  

I found the exact place it happened and the memorial resurrected for the 20 children who lost their lives that day.



Thanks for stopping in!

Kimmie

1 comment:

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...