Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Marble Madness

Hey guys!

I almost lost my marbles writing this.  I’ve had so much going on lately (in a good way) that I finally found a time to sit still to finalize and publish a new blog piece.

As part of my birthday present, my boyfriend took me to one of my bucket list Colorado adventures.  Most people can’t find this place on a map.  It’s THAT obscure…no internet at all, like a place lost in time.  Marble, Colorado.   


Now most people might be scratching their heads asking, “Kimmie?  Bucket list?  Really?”  And that’s a fair question.  Marble,  Colorado is one of two places in the WORLD where you can find white marble!  This is where the marble from the Lincoln Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier came from!  (Just to name a few) The only other place to get white marble is in Italy!  Marble takes hundreds of years to form and is found among the oldest parts of the Earth’s crust.  Marble is basically formed when sedimentary limestone is heated and squeezed by natural rock forming processes so that the grains recrystallize.    

It’s so crazy because the night before we left, I last minute discovered the quarry was closed to the general public and tourists could no longer purchase tours!  I was so sad!  But we had already booked our campsite.  








A few things happened on this trip:

First, when we arrived to our campground, our site was flooded and there was a note from the managers to come see them.  A nice couple greeted us and offered us a dryer site and it turned out to be absolutely perfect!  We had a stream running into a swift river (snow melting around this time of year makes waters rise and more torrent and super cold!) , a private trail, a huge shade tree, plenty of places to hang a hammock, a bear box, fire ring and huge picnic table (the kind Yogi Bear would steal picnic lunches from…we are taking Yogi Bear and Booboo’s wet dream!

On Sunday the weather was a bit overcast and we ventured into the town of Marble.  Our first stop was at a marble shop that don’t disappoint.  We walked Millie around back near the river and ventured into an absolutely shocking and awesome scene.

Here are a few more pics of our camp site and our adventures.  

We admired these mixed marble arts.  Haha

Snaps of the ride there…



A chicken potato cast iron dinner my wonderful boyfriend cooked for me.  He has some skills!

Our campground 

We called him Sox…

Cuddle time in the hammock

Scenery

The pubic hair is very marblously detailed 



Marble has moose, bear and fox as some of the local wildlife 


Mildred loved camping…

These guys were on “America’s Next Top Marble”.  Please somebody stop me!

A marble throne 

Fox tales 🦊 

I spent a lot of time here reading 

A sculptor artist’s work space.  They were all along the river









Coke ovens



Thanks for stopping by!  My next unfinished blog post will be on Denver’s Union Station!  You’ll definitely want to tune in!  Cliffhangers!!  All aboard!

Love,

Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...