Tuesday, August 17, 2021

The Disneyland of Mexican Restaurants (Adult Content)

 Congrats to me!  I got my THIRD reader request for a blog write-up!  Thanks, Peggy!  For those new to my blog, I always encourage readers to send me requests on content that interests you or simply something you would like to know more about.  It encourages me to step outside my comfort zone.  But, for this particular blog, it's just so fun to announce that the Colorado renowned Casa Bonita is officially under the hands of new ownership: the South Park creators (and Colorado natives), Trey Parker + Matt Stone!  That's right!  This news is so official, it's got it's own CDC guidelines...and it's featured on the United States Department of State Website before any news on Afghanistan.  Wink.

I first learned about the iconic Casa Bonita restaurant when my brother visited me in 2020.  He had a bucket list of things he + Bella wanted to see.  Obviously when you hear a Mexican restaurant has a 30 foot waterfall (modeled after Acapulco), cliff divers, stage shows, a haunted cavern, a wishing well, a gorilla that chases guests around + live music, it allures you to the parking lot.  As we rolled up to Casa Bonita, the doors were shut, the windows closed + there was a big CLOSED sign displayed.  They had completely closed shop + locked down over COVID.  And, they remained closed, even as their competitors began to open shop allowing for a certain percentage capacity and breaching privacy by asking patrons to sign a sheet with their personal information (albeit, we are literally tracked by our credit card purchases and by that little electronic device we carry around).  Eventually, the owners of Casa Bonita went bankrupt (which usually happens when you refuse to open the doors and do business)...






So, what is Casa Bonita (for non-natives)?  Casa Bonita translates to "beautiful house" in Spanish.  It's a 52,000 SF Mexican restaurant that can seat 1,000 patrons at a time + a family entertainment destination located in Denver, Colorado.  They boast as one of the "Nation's Top 10 Roadside Destinations" + have operated for 46 years!  Each area of the restaurant is themed motif of an area of Mexico.  According to their website, they are currently offering "backstage" tours + opening the gift shop/arcade.  No dining, though...yet...even though they post: "Taste the Magic of Mexico"...here is their website:

http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

If you're a South Park fan, then you've probably seen the South Park episode, which I shall link right below this paragraph for you.  Casa Bonita's song/slogan from South Park is "Casa Bonita!  Casa Bonita!  Food and fun in a festive atmosphere!"  The cult classic animation refers to the establishment as "The Disneyland of Mexican Restaurants."  There's even a Cartman table at Casa Bonita.  DISCLAIMER: South Park has adult language + non-PC content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ent49rwKXI

Did I mention cliff divers??  SKILLS!!!  A video from one of the cliff divers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhi2hXugGI

Not sure about you, but I'm stoked to make my first magical trip to Casa Bonita under the new ownership!  Trey + Matt have promised to improve the menu (and I'm a foodie).

I'll leave you with this quote:
"I'd love to go after they have improved the food.  The sopapillas were really the only thing worth eating before."

- My friend, Peggy


My favorite pic of Matt + Trey...throwback Tuesday!


Peace + Love + Enchiladas, 

Kimmie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...