Wednesday, August 18, 2021

FLOWER POWER: The Sunflower Hippie

Happy Hump Day!

Wow, I have an overwhelming attitude of gratitude this morning.  I just woke up feeling so blessed.  I had a few people pop in my head over morning coffee + yogurt, berries n' granola.  Recently I met this wonderful soul who is a pet groomer.  So naturally we immediately connected over a love of animals.  Anyways, they told me, "You paint with words.  And, it's really beautiful."  Gosh I love compliments like that.  And, then there's my dear friend who recently told me: "You never complain, and I love that about you."  That wasn't always the case with me.  This is a literal re-hardwiring of the brain.  Believe it or not, I've been through several valleys (even though I smile a lot + have a goofy personality).  Those valleys made me truly appreciate the mountain peaks + the view from the top.  I learned that we can either wake up and choose to complain and find fault in everything + everybody....Or, we can wake up and choose gratitude + find the overwhelming beauty in God's creation.  Look, that's not to say we don't have our bad days.  We ALL do.  Even Mr. Rogers had a shit day in the neighborhood once + again.  But, we CAN choose our attitudes and how we deal with it.  I love this quote by Maya Angelou:

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."

(By the way, this really KILLS people who try to dull your light)

Okay, annnnd "End Scene" with my introductory paragraph...

I felt an urgency to share this post with you, since this little event will be ending soon!  Only 8 days left!  Recently I got a call from a friend to join her at Anderson Farms in Erie, Colorado.  I've been spending a little time in Erie as of late.  And, I'm in love.  I love the people, I love the Downtown, I love the geo-scapes (yes, I just created that word for landscapes), and I simply love the vibe! 

So, Anderson Farms has been around for a bit, but this event is totally new!  It's called "Anderson Farms Sunflowers!  The sign says "Anderson Farms U-Pick Sunflowers."  Okay, so you can buy the tickets online (or once you get there), and kids under 4 are free.  The tickets are $10 (whether you buy online or at the event, but you avoid lines with the online convenience).  Tickets buy you the coolest ride on this gigantic wagon out to a field of dreams.  And, by dreams, I'm referring to fields and fields of the most beautiful sunflowers.  This really struck on heart + soul strings once the wagon stopped at our destination!!!  That's right.  You'll arrive at a 15 acre field with over 17 varieties of sunflowers and so many cool photo opportunities.  The sunflowers range in height, color and blooming stages.

Real quick...queue Tom Petty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozgmyx919a4

Anderson Farm provides a "concessions" where you can buy a bag or a bucket for an "all-you-can-fill" experience.  I'm not kidding.  They loan you some shearing scissors and off you go!  Oh, and they have wildflowers too!!  So, the bags are $10 and the buckets (really cool French Market buckets) are $25.00. 

NOTE: No dogs are allowed at this event.

Here's the website to purchase tickets:

https://andersonfarms.com/sunflowers/

Some things you'll want to bring:

A hat for protection (it's so hot!  And, the only shade is under this one tent)

Sunscreen

Water to stay hydrated(although they do sell water at the concessions)

A professional camera

Tennis shoes or hiking shoes (do not wear sandals - unless Chacos or something sturdy!  You're walking around on uneven terrain)

Dry-fit or breathable clothing.  Sundresses are great and breathable.  Guys, shorts.

Maybe some snacks if you get "Hangry" and experience blood sugar drops...

Some cool things they have:

Playgrounds for the kids (literally a gigantic John Deere tractor with a slide)

Bug spray stations (yes, you'll need to hose down your ankles and arms...little bugs love that flesh)

Bring extra cash or credit for cool tanks and candles...

Popcorn + Cotton Candy

Here are some photos of my experience (Quite a few since I geeked out over sunflowers...sorry, not sorry):

Caption this!  Haha!  
You'll see this guy as you pull into or exit the parking lot (depending on which way you come in)



Legit, pay attention to these tips.  You'll avoid wiltage (yes, I just made up that word)


Meet Ian from Ala-damn-bama.  Nicest guy and he'll remember your name!  The staff is so cool!


Me so corny...




Basketball hoops for the kids or the kid at heart...

Bug spray stations...

The gigantic wagon...




Bucket filling stations.  You'll want to fill your bucket 40% with water before you get started pickin'


I always meet other mermaid...



Love this green one...fun merch!


Anderson Farms candles...

She's putting our shears inside the buckets...

FUN photo opps everywhere you turn...


He thinks my tractor's sexy...



Field of dreams...








Be like this sunflower...unique...




Our finished bounty...not bad, eh?

Come out to Anderson Farms...QUICK!  Before the sunflowers are gone...

REMINDER!!!

Also, a quick reminder that Abby and I will be at the Erie Farmers Market tomorrow from 5-8 p.m. with Mermaid Sand Bars, Mermaid Bath Salts, Mermaid Hair Spritz, Mermaid Crowns (festival vibes), and the best part ever...FACE PAINT!

During our first Farmers Market we saw the overwhelming magic + sparkle in the kid's eyes.  And, that's when we realized, it's all about the kids.  If you are a parent taking your child(ren) to the Farmers Market, you are instilling great memories, teaching them to buy local + eat healthy!  It reminds me of when my Dad took me fishing and hiking.  I'll never forget those memories.

So, we're breaking out customized Mermaid (also, turtle, whale, + unicorn) tiara/crowns, festival flower wreaths and kids soaps!  We can't wait to see you and be part of the Erie community again!  We also remembered to pack dog treats this time, so stop by with your pup and say hi!

Thanks for stopping in + flower power to you, friends!  Peace + Love + Sunflowers...

The Sunflower Hippie + Mermaid for Life,

Kimmie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...