Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Bucket List: World's Biggest Ball of Twine + Another Surprise...

 Ello Mates!

Ever been to Cawker City, Kansas??  Yeah, I didn't think so.  Last year I went on a road trip and didn't want to miss this roadside attraction that had been sitting in my bucket list bank since I saw it on "National Lampoon's Vacation".  (drumroll please).."The World's Largest Ball of Twine."  


Bella's favorite spot...my lap.  Wake up, Bella!  

Me touching the big ball...is this real?

Some facts about the World's Largest Ball of Twine

Me + the Bella-meister paying homage...

She's a beaut, Clark...

The most adorable little filling station for small people...(across the street from The World's Largest Ball of Twine...

This got a 4.5 Google Star Review, which shocked the socks of me (you gotta read these and see the pictures).  I had a swarm of Kansas mafia horse flies/gnats immediately fly out and bite the shit out of me in the wee pre-crack of dawn (I'm talking THROUGH blue jeans).  I'm surprised I can't find the pictures of the huge welts on my hands.
Authentic picture of me pre-coffee with bug bites...

Other than the bugs, this is an oddly satisfying + alluring tourist stop.  It doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense, for one.  So, in 1953 this dude named Frank Stoeber started what is now know as The World's Largest Ball of Twine.  By 1957, a mere 4 years later, the ball weighed 5,000 pounds + was over 8 feet high!  In 1961, ol' Frank donated this jewel to Cawker City.  The City has truly embraced everything twine, showcasing artwork and window displays with...you guessed it...balls of twine...everywhere.

Oh, you may want to mark your calendar for August of 2022 (since we're rolling into September already this year).  The City hosts a "twine-a-thon" where the residents + visitors to the City add additional twine!  Yep, you can be a part of history!  Other small town events you might expect at the twine-a-thon: a horseshoe pitching contest, a car show, probably some pretty darn tasty food (as Kansas is known for BBQ), and of course, growing that ball of twine!

DISCLAIMER: Cawker City is smack dab in the middle of Central America, out in the middle of nowhere ("Nowhere") so be sure to fuel up your car ahead of time!  When flying over Cawker City you'll want a airplane seat that can bounce out of a cornfield, because that's the vast majority of landscape (corn, wheat or sunflower fields...a whole bunch of hard fields...a seat that floats will do you no good).

TERRIFIC TWINE TRIVIA!

There are two kinds of twine.  Anybody got a guess?

Answer: Sisal + Hemp!  Both are natural fibers used in twine (and textiles - even softer + more luxurious than cotton!), yet they are slightly different.  So, the Sisal, grown commercially since the 30's, originates from the Agave sisalina plant (wait, what did you just call me?)  Whereas, hemp comes from the stalk of the Cannabis sativa plant.  Hemp, one of the strongest natural fibers known to man, is traced back to China and has been grown for over 6,000 years.  While sisal is resistant to deterioration (even salt water), hemp is even more resistant and holds up to mildew!

Dear Governor Polis, can you please make us a big a ball of hemp here in Colorado?  

Neat Fact: My current City here in Colorado boasts the Largest Sticker Ball - "Saul the World's Largest Sticker Ball"...(I have not been yet, can you believe it?)

I found this twine flick pretty entertaining.  There are actually two more balls of twine in the USA (love the soundtrack...so gangster):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VGEV9rxdI

Please, if it's not too much to ask: Spray your balls with preventative medicine/insecticide... 

Now for the "Another Surprise":

So, I finally fueled up on coffee that day.  And, we made it to...(drumrollll please)...The Geographical Center of the Lower 48 States in Lebanon, Kansas (featured in a Chrysler/Jeep commercial during the Super Bowl):

Me having to touch everything...
Me posing + Bella scoping out the best doo doo spot...

Thanks for stopping in, and I hope this was so random your head has a nice little buzz.

Affectionately Yours, 

Kimmie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Devil's Backbone

 Happy Fall, Y'all! First of all, ROCKY TOP - GO BIG ORANGE!  I would like to congratulate my Tennessee Vols, my Alma Mater!  Earlier th...